Email MeMichael Robert Shay
Michael R. Shay is skilled, passionate and experienced in his areas of practice: Social Security disability, Medicaid and Medicare eligibility, Worker’s Compensation, personal injury, landlord/tenant litigation, employment matters, consumer protection, and wills/estates.
Michael is a Board-Certified Specialist in Social Security Disability Law and has successfully represented hundreds of disabled individuals – children and adults – in a wide range of Social Security, Medicaid and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) cases. As a former Legal Aid of North Carolina non-profit attorney, he prides himself on continuing to assist disabled, low-income citizens of North Carolina.
He received his undergraduate degree from North Carolina State University in 2001 and his J.D. from North Carolina Central University School of Law in 2005.
Michael is a member of North Carolina Advocates for Justice – Disability Advocates Section, and the National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives. He is also on the Board of Directors and fundraising committee for Crisis Control Ministry in Winston-Salem.
In 2010, Michael was chosen to travel to Santiago, Chile, with a group of young professionals to assist the region’s legal, political and social development.
In his free time, Michael enjoys spending time with his wife, son, family and friends. He and his wife love to cook and travel. Michael is also an avid sports fan, and particularly loves ACC basketball and football.
Areas of Practice
- Social Security Disability
- Personal Injury
- Workers' Compensation
- Wills and Estates
- North Carolina, 2005
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina, 2008
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina, 2013
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
- J.D. - 2005
- North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina
- B.A. - 2001
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice - Disability Advocates Section, Member
- National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Legal Aid of North Carolina, Inc., Staff Attorney, 2005 - 2011
- Mike Lewis Attorneys, Associate, 2011 - 2012