David B. Freedman
David B. Freedman is one of North Carolina’s most accomplished and respected attorneys. He has built his career on delivering extraordinary service to clients in civil, criminal and professional-practice proceedings. He believes that every case is important and every client deserves an attorney who will represent them with zeal, knowledge and experience.
During his career, David has represented numerous judges and attorneys in state disciplinary actions. He has won jury verdicts in complex civil trials representing both plaintiffs and defendants. He has also handled hundreds of serious felonies, including those involving clients charged with first-degree murder. In addition, David and the firm often represent local law-enforcement officers through the Police Benevolent Association.
David received his undergraduate degree in 1979 and his J.D. in 1982 from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is certified as a Specialist in the area of Criminal Law in both State and Federal practice. He has served as President of the Forsyth County Bar Association and as Chairman of the Criminal Law Section of the N.C. Academy of Trial Lawyers. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America both in white collar and non-white collar criminal law and in 2012 was named the publication’s Lawyer of the Year for criminal defense white-collar and in 2013 the Lawyer of the Year for criminal defense non-white collar. David is listed in The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, published by Martindale-Hubbell. In 2006, he was named by Business North Carolina as the state’s top criminal defense lawyer and is listed in the magazine’s Legal Elite Hall of Fame. He has been listed in Super Lawyers of North Carolina since 2006.
David has been interviewed numerous times by national and local media on a wide range of legal issues. For 15 years, he taught criminal procedure and trial practice at the Wake Forest University School of Law and has also lectured at Harvard Law School. He is a frequent presenter at Continuing Legal Education seminars in North Carolina and other states.
Areas of Practice
- Federal Law
- State Criminal Law
- Personal Injury Law
- North Carolina, 1982
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Juris Doctorate
- University of North Carolina
- Bachelor of Arts
- Frequent Lecturer, Wake Forest University Continuing Legal Education
- Frequent Lecturer, North Carolina Bar Association Continuing Legal Education
- Frequent Lecturer, North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers Continuing Legal Education
- Lecturer, Harvard Law School
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell - AV rated
- Best Lawyers in America
- Super Lawyers of North Carolina
- Business North Carolina - Legal Elite Hall of Fame, 2006
- Harvey Lupton Award
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Joseph Branch Inn of Court, Master
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, Former Chair: Criminal Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar, Board Certified Specialist in State and Federal Criminal Law
- Forsyth County Bar Association, Former President
- Adjunct Professor - Wake Forest Law School since 1991; Criminal Practice